The 2013 AMS Fall Central Sectional Meeting will take place at Washington University in St. Louis. October 18-20. On this occasion, the 2013 AMS Einstein Public Lecture in Mathematics, Bursts, Cascades and Hot Spots: A Glimpse of some online social phenomena at global scales, will be given by Jon Kleinberg of Cornell University on Saturday, October 19, at 5:00 p.m. in Graham Chapel. Jon Kleinberg is a MacArthur Fellow, Nevanlinna Prize winner, and Infosys Prize winner. A renown expert on networks, Kleinberg developed the HITS algorithm. The lecture is inspired by Kleinberg's recent book, Networks, Crowds, and Markets: Reasoning About a Highly Connected World (Cambridge University Press, 2010). You can read the abstract of the 2013 AMS Einstein Lecture, here⇨
Jon Kleinberg's lecture will begin at 5:00 p.m. in Graham Chapel, on the Danforth Campus of WUSTL. There will be a reception in Holmes Lounge, also on the Danforth Campus, following the lecture.
Locate us, link to Directory & Maps of Cupples I hall, maps of the Danforth campus, faculty coordinates, and more⇨
WUSTL Mathematics Professors and alumni from the Department of Mathematics at WUSTL will be participating in several of the 2013 AMS Fall Central Sectional Meeting's Special Sessions:
- Jimin Ding will present at the Special Session on Advances in Mathematical Methods for Disease Modeling.
- Roya Beheshti, Matt Kerr, and N. Mohan Kumar will lead the Special Session on Algebraic Cycles and Coherent Sheaves.
- David Wright will present at the Special Session on Commutative Algebra on Local Criteria for Stable Tameness of Polynomial Automorphisms, see abstract.
- Rachel Roberts and Larry Conlon will present at the Special Session on Geometric Topology in Low Dimensions.
- Ari Stern and Xiang Tang will present at the Special Session on Groupoids in Analysis and Geometry. The presentation by Ari Stern regards a paper co-written with J.C.Marrero and D.M.de Diego, Symplectic Groupoids and Discrete Constrained Langrangian Mechanics, see abstract.
- John McCarthy will lead the Special Session on Operator Theory.
- Alvaro Pelayo and Xiang Tang will lead the Special Session on Spectral, Index, and Symplectic Geometry.
- Timothy Chumley (Ph.D. in Mathematics, 2013) and Renato Feres will lead the Special Session on Statistical Properties of Dynamical Systems.
- John Shareshian and Russ Woodroofe (Chauvenet 2010-13) will lead the Special Session on Topological Combinatorics. Shareshian will present on a paper co-written with M.Wachs, A Geometric Interpretation of an Eulerian Number Identity, see abstract.
- Guido Weiss and Ilya Krishtal (Chauvenet 2002-05) will present at the Special Session on Wavelets, Frames, and Related Expansions. Krishtal will present on dynamical sampling of evolving signals, based on joint work with A.Aldroubi and J.Davis, see abstract.
The 2013 AMS Fall Sectional Meeting program, list of invited addresses, special sessions information, and more can be found at http://www.ams.org/meetings/sectional/2204_program.html⇨
Link to an article on the upcoming meeting in the WUSTL Record: http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/25848.aspx⇨
—Math news, stories, videos, and interviews by Marie C. Taris, http://www.math.wustl.edu/marietaris/math.html⇨