Your grade for Math 132 will be based on exam scores, quiz scores and scores from WeBWorK assignments, together with any earned boost from iClicker participation. These scores will be combined to produce a TOTAL SCORE (a percent) for the course.
- The 4 exams will have 100 points each. The scores on each exam are "boosted." if necessary so that the exam average is not below 75. Each of the exam scores E1, E2, E3, and E4 (= final exam) will contribute 18% of your TOTAL SCORE.
- If you have taken all of Exams 1-2-3, or have been given an excused absence from one of these exams, then your final exam score will replace your lowest previous exam score. The final exam score cannot be replaced.
- Your quiz total will be rescaled to a basis of 100 points to get your QUIZSCORE, which contributes 18% toward your TOTAL SCORE. (See Discussion Sections for more information on quizzes and "throw-way" scores)
- After dropping the two lowest WW assignments, your WeBWorK scores will be totaled and rescaled to a basis of 100 points to get your WEBSCORE. WEBSCORE will contribute 10% toward your TOTAL SCORE. (See Webwork for more information.)
- After calculation of TOTAL SCORE, a small boost might be added for iClicker participation
Here are the guidelines that will convert your TOTAL SCORE to a letter grade:
- At the end of the course, the letter grades assigned will not be any stricter than shown in the table below. It's theoretically possible that there may be slight adjustments in a more generous direction, but that might not happen, and if there are adjustments at all, they will probably be very small. For "practical" purposes, you should assume that the table will be the grading scale.
- If you are taking the course on a "pass/fail" basis, then you will need a grade of C- or better to earn a "satisfactory passing grade" P.
- If there are any students who officially registered to audit the course (not for credits), then I will need to assign a grade of L ("successful audit") or Z ("unsuccessful audit") at the end. You need to talk with me early in the course about what you need to do for a "successful audit."
TOTAL SCORE GUARANTEED LETTER GRADE 90% and up A or A+. The cutoff for A+ is uncertain, but A+'s will be a very small "honorary" group. This decision has no GPA impact because an A+ counts the same as an A in the University GPA calculations. If "boosts" to exam scores occur with the result that a few students get a TOTAL SCORE more than 100, not even a 100 is guaranteed an A+. 85%-90% A- 80%-85% B+ 75%-80% B 70%-75% B- 65%-70% C+ 60%-65% C 55%-60% C- 50%-55% D < 50% NCR (F) To illustrate, here's the calculation of the grade for a hypothetical student, Jane Doe. Notice that as the course moves along, you can make "guesses" about your performance on the remaining exams and quizzes and use the same method to estimate where you grade would come out based on your "guesses."
Data for Jane Doe
Exam Scores Exam 1 88 (out of 100)
Exam 2 68 (out of 100)
Exam 3 78 (out of 100)
FINAL 75 (out of 100)
Quiz Scores Q1 = 6, Q2 = 2, Q3 = 4, Q4 = 4, Q5 = **, Q6 = 5, Q7 = 6,
Q8= **, Q9 = **
( ** indicates a missing quiz score for that day)
WW Points After discarding her two lowest WW scores, let's say Jane has 249 out of a possible 300 WW points.
Calculation of TOTAL SCORE and GRADE for Jane DoeJane took all of Exams 1-2-3, and her Final Exam score (75) is better than her lowest previous exam score (68), so we replace the 68 on Exam 2 with 75.
We count only the 6 best quizzes, so there are 36 total possible quiz points. Jane can drop her 3 lowest scores but she can only drop 1 of the last 3 scores. So she can drop Q2, Q5, and Q8, so her QUIZSCORE = (6+4+4+5+6+0) / 36 = 25/36 = 69.4%Jane's WEBSCORE is 249/300 = 0.83 = 83 %
Jane Doe's TOTAL SCORE = 0.18* (SUM OF TEST SCORES) + 0.18*QUIZSCORE + 0.10*WEBSCORE =
= 0.18* ( 83 + 75 + 78 + 75) + 0.18*69.4 + 0.1*83 = 77.0%
Reviewing the iClicker data, Jane responded to 62/80 of the clicker questions posed in class. So she 0.03*62 = 1.86 added to her TOTAL SCORE, giving her 78.86 (which will round to the nearest integer, 79).
Jane's 79% earns a B for the course..