Modern Algebra, Spring 2017
- Zhenghui Huo, Cupples I, 107, email@example.com
Classroom and Time
- Lopata Hall 201, MWF 12:00-1:00
- Tue. 2pm-4pm or by appointment, in my office : Cupples I 107
• A First Course in Abstract Algebra (7nd edition), by John Fraleigh.
- An introduction to groups, rings and fields. Includes permutation group and ring homomorphism, field extensions, connections with linear algebra We will attempt to cover most of Chapters 1-7. I will expect that you are familiar with materials in Linear Algebra.
- There will be weekly due homework sets. Homework is due every Friday at the beginning of the lecture.
- The lowest 2 homework scores will be dropped.
- There will be two in-class midterm exams and one final exam. Midterm exams are on Feb. 24th and Apr. 7th. Final is on May 10th, 10:30-12:30.
Policies and Grading scale
- Homework: 20%, Midterm 1: 25%, Midterm 2: 25%, Final: 30%.
- You are expected to take the exams at their scheduled times. If you are away because of a university sporting event or field trip, then you may arrange for your coach or professor to administer the exam. Excused absences may be granted in the case of illness or bereavement. The final exam date cannot be changed for reasons of traveling convenience.
- Letter grades will be given based on your overall score. The cutoffs for the various letter grades will be no higher than the following: